Did you know that potholes are one of the top 20 causes for car accidents? Did you know that motorists file over 500,000 claims annually for damage due to potholes? Did you know that consumers spend nearly $4.8 billion each year to repair damages from potholes and other road conditions?
Illinois has had a tough winter. As a result, you have probably driven through many potholes. Fluctuations in temperature above/below 32 degrees are the main cause of potholes, however the degree of moisture, extreme heat, heavy traffic and poor maintenance can be contributing factors. Potholes can cause vehicle damage such as:
- Tire punctures
- Alignment problems
- Wheel damage
- Broken suspension components
- Shock or strut wear,
- and exhaust system problems.
You can be head off major vehicle issues and expenses when you spot the warning signs of pothole damage early.
4 Signs That Your Car Has Pothole Damage
- Loss of control- swaying when making routine turns, bottoming out on city streets or excessive bouncing on rough roads. These are key indicators that the steering and suspension may have sustained damage.
- Pulling in one direction-instead of maintaining a straight path may be an indication of a damaged tire or an alignment may be needed.
- Low tire pressure-uneven tire wear, bulges or blisters on the sidewalls or dents in the rim are all indicators of pothole damage to the tires.
If you have noticed any of these concerns, it is highly recommended to bring your vehicle in for a comprehensive inspection. Call Keith’s Car Care today (630) 554-8911 to set up an appointment to have us inspect the tires, steering/suspension and the alignment on your vehicle.